Beef tongue is a common delicacy in Japan, most famous in the city of Sendai.
It is usually cooked on charcoal grill until it gives off a delicious smoky taste. It can be cooked slowly to deepen the umami flavor, or if the tongue is fresh, it can be grilled quickly and eaten rare. A common seasoning is green onions and lemon juice, which help break up the fleshiness of the tongue.
How To Make Beef Tongue:
- Combine the marinade ingredients together.
- Place the beef tongue and the marinade in a deep dish and let it marinate for 1 hour. Meanwhile, prepare your charcoal grill.
- Slice your green onion as thinly as possible.
- Grill the beef tongue for 30 seconds on one side. Then turn around.
- When the other side is grilling, place the green onions on the beef tongue.
- After 30 seconds, fold the beef tongue over and serve.
- Dip in lemon juice or sea salt.