While many are familiar with the traditional Ukrainian festive dish kholodets (jelly meat), the fish version is more popular for Christmas. To prepare it, you need to boil trout, cool and cover with gelatin.
How to make fish in jelly:
- Place the fish pieces and next 8 ingredients in a stockpot and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Strain the stock, remove and discard everything except the carrots.
- Return the stock to the pan.
- Add the fish fillets and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes (until the fish is cooked through).
- Remove the fish and let it cool.
- Boil the egg and cut into thin slices.* Cut the carrot into slices.
- While the stock is still hot, add the gelatin by slowly pouring the powder into the hot soup and whisking vigorously.
- Crush the dill sprigs between your fingers and add to the stock/gelatin mixture, along with the crushed garlic cloves.
- Let stand for 15 minutes. Remove the dill and garlic.
- Place 6 glass containers (mine are about 1/2 cup each) on a tray.
- Place a slice of egg, carrot slices, a few peas in each container.
- Then place pieces of cooked fish fillets (distribute evenly over all ramekins) – see photo below.
- Carefully pour the fish stock over the fish and vegetables to cover.
- Place the bowl in the fridge and let it cool overnight.
Remark: Serve with bread, drizzled with lemon juice or white vinegar.