Fried carp is a national food in Poland, although it is eaten only once a year – on Christmas Eve. Depending on local and family traditions, carp is baked with or without a coating.
- Clean and wash the fish. Cut off the head and tail.
- Cut the fish into steaks, as in the photo below.
- Place the fish in a bowl, add 2 tbsp salt, cover with cold water and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove, rinse and pat dry.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish or plastic bag.
- Add the fish pieces to coat them lightly. Shake off any excess flour.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan.
- Place the pieces of fish in it and fry for a few minutes on each side over medium heat.
- Remove and place on a paper towel to soak up the extra fat.
- If the steaks are thick, finish in a 350°F/180°C oven for a few minutes to continue cooking.
Remark: Serve immediately or store in a warm oven until ready to serve.