This dish with its funny name is one of the favorite Russian dishes for the festive table. It is a layered salad, made with salted herring, onions, boiled potatoes, carrots, beetroot and mayo and decorated with grated boiled eggs. It is a heavy dish that needs to be chilled in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.
Grab a slice of this salad cake and let the harmony of flavors unfold in your mouth!
- Bring 3 liters of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the beets and cook for 20 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook for another 20 minutes. Add the carrots and cook for a further 20 minutes. Add more boiling water if necessary to keep the vegetables covered.
- Drain the vegetables and let them cool for 10 minutes before handling them. Peel the potatoes, carrots and beets while they are still warm. Set aside to cool completely.
- Grate the carrots and beets. Put in separate bowls.
- Finely chop the potatoes.
- Place a ring tin or the ring from a spring form on a nice serving plate. This salad can also be put together freeform in a round or oval shape or in a 13×9-inch pan.
- Place all sliced potatoes in the ring and cover the bottom. Gently pat in an even layer. Spread 1/3 of the mayonnaise to completely cover the potatoes. Place half of the beets on top in a thin layer. Then add half of the carrot. Place half of the finely chopped onion on the carrot. Use all the chopped pickled herring to cover the onions.
- Spread another 1/3 of the mayonnaise to cover the herring. Top with the remaining carrots and then with the onion. Add the sliced eggs. Sprinkle black pepper to taste. Cover with the remaining mayonnaise. Add the rest of the beets. Pack the beets carefully so that nothing else can be seen.
- Place in the fridge for at least 6 hours. When it’s time to serve, carefully remove the ring, if using, so that the layers of the salad are exposed.
- If desired, place the sliced hard-boiled eggs on top of the salad to garnish. Garnish with chopped dill or parsley and serve.