They may not be as easy as buying them at the bakery… but they are so tasty!
To make homemade sandwiches:
- Whisk the water, yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup flour together in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Add the egg, butter, salt and another 3 cups of flour. Use the kneading attachment to knead the dough for 5 minutes, or until it begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl but still feels a little tacky.
- Add additional flour, tablespoon at a time, if dough is too sticky.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, turning once to coat. Cover loosely with a damp towel and let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled, about 90 minutes to 2 hours.
- Carefully drain the dough. Cut into 12 pieces (18 for vernier calipers) and shape into hamburger and/or hot dog shapes.
- Place on baking sheets lined with a silpat or parchment paper, cover loosely and let rise for about an hour until puffy. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Beat the egg yolk with 2 teaspoons of water. Lightly brush each bun with the yolk and sprinkle with desired toppings.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.