Hi, I’m back with another viral TikTok recipe. I know, I know, TikTok is about to be banned, but the viral recipes won’t stop and I’m here for it because super soft cloud bread is so quirky and cute.
Plus, it’s only three ingredients! I mean, I loved dalgona coffee and cereal with pancakes, so maybe there’s something in this TikTok food thing?
After watching multiple people tear into their TikTok cloud bread and squeeze them, I just HAD to make my own.
What is TikTok cloud bread?
If you’re on TikTok and looked under #cloudbread, you’ve probably seen the fluffiest, most impossible giant puffs of bread you’ve ever seen. All you need to make it are egg whites, sugar and cornstarch. Cloud bread is essentially a soft-baked meringue with some rebranding.
If you’re not sure what a meringue is, it’s a kind of dessert made from whipped egg whites and sugar. Sometimes a binding agent (in this case cornstarch) is added to give it some more structure. Meringues taste a bit marshmallow-y when baked softly and light and crispy when baked and dried longer. If you’ve had pavlova or lemon meringue pie or macaron, you’ve had meringue and by extension cloud bread.
Ingredients for cloud bread
- Protein. Protein gives your cloud bread fluffiness and loft. If you are going to separate egg whites yourself, make sure that the yolks don’t get in the way of the whites, otherwise they won’t whip. It’s better to separate your eggs when they’re cold, but they’ll beat better when they’re at room temperature. You can also just buy egg whites in a box at the store, which I did. You will need 3 large egg whites or about 6 tablespoons of egg whites from a carton.
- Sugar. Just use regular white sugar. Sugar stabilizes your proteins and makes them fluff even more. The sugar will also sweeten your cloud bread just a bit.
- cornstarch. You only need a tiny amount of cornstarch in your cloud bread to soak up any extra liquid in your meringue. Cornstarch also helps make your meringue shiny.
- Food coloring. This is optional if you want to make your clouds colorful.
How do you make cloud bread?
- Beat the egg whites until stiff. Add your egg whites to a very clean, grease-free bowl. Start beating your egg whites on medium-high until foamy and pale.
- Stir in sugar. Gradually add the sugar on high until the sugar has dissolved and the egg whites begin to foam.
- Add the cornstarch. I like to sift the cornstarch in so there are no lumps. Continue beating on high until the egg whites become a glossy thick meringue with a peak. The egg whites are done when you remove the beater from the bowl and they hold a peak and look smooth and creamy like shaving cream. Tilting the bowl should prevent the egg whites from slipping. Be careful not to hit too hard!
- Form the cloud. Use a rubber spatula to scoop out the meringue and form a cloud on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Baking. Bake in a low oven until golden brown and cooked through.
What does cloud bread taste like?
Honestly, this cloud bread is more looks than taste. Maybe just like TikTok? It’s beautifully airy and full of little air bubbles and very smooth and satisfying, but it’s not the most delicious. It is light and airy and reminiscent of a marshmallow. It tastes a bit like cake in texture, but not in taste.
Tips and tricks
- Make sure your egg white beater is completely clean and free of fat or oil, otherwise your egg whites won’t beat.
- Also make sure there is NO yolk in your egg whites.
- Separate your eggs when they are cold, but beat them when they are at room temperature.
- Do not add all the sugar at once. Your meringue will fluff up if you add it gradually, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Don’t skip! If your meringue looks grainy or very wet, it means your egg whites have been beaten too hard and your cloud bread won’t be fluffy.
Cloud bread FAQ
How do I beat the egg whites until stiff?
Make sure that your utensils are COMPLETELY clean and that there is absolutely no oil or grease residue on your whisk or bowl. If you break your yolks while separating the eggs, the whites won’t whip. Use a stainless steel or glass bowl and make sure it is completely clean. Do not use silicone or plastic bowls or utensils – even if they appear clean, there is a chance that there will be an oily residue that will make it difficult for your eggs to beat properly. Whipping egg whites takes time, so don’t be surprised if they take a while to whip.
Why was my protein wrong? I beat them forever!
If your egg whites didn’t turn out fluffy, it’s because there was oil or fat in your egg whites. Oil or fat is the enemy of whipping meringues. Fat disrupts the way the proteins in egg whites bind together to whip up. If you separate your proteins by hand and there is fat on your hand, you may not get any protein. If there’s oil or fat on your whisk or in your bowl, your egg whites won’t beat.
How can I whip my egg whites?
You can try adding a dash of tartar (1/4 teaspoon), vinegar (1/4 teaspoon), or lemon juice (1/4 teaspoon) to beat your eggs. Creams of tartar, vinegar and lemon juice are all acids that help stabilize the proteins and encourage them to be extra whipped.
Why is my cloud bread not baked through?
If your cloud bread is golden brown on the outside but undercooked on the inside, it could be because your oven has overheated. Some ovens are not properly calibrated or have hot spots. It probably means the oven was too hot and the outside of the bread cooked faster than the inside. Cloud bread bakes at a very low temperature. If the inside of your cloud bread is raw, you can simply put your cloud bread back in the oven until it’s cooked through.
Does it taste like eggs?
Cloud bread is made from 3 ingredients: egg whites, sugar and cornstarch. The egg whites make up the bulk of the recipe, so it’s only natural that cloud bread will taste like eggs. If you want a sweeter cloud bread to make it taste less like eggs, add 1/4 cup of sugar. Warning: Doing this will not make your cloud as fluffy.
Do I need a food processor to make cloud bread?
Technically, you don’t need a stand mixer. You can whip these up with a regular whisk or a hand mixer. But it will take a VERY long time and a lot of arm muscles. You can do it! I use this milk frother and it works amazingly.
Why is my cloud bread wrinkly?
That’s just the nature of cloud bread! Since it’s not a cake with a significant amount of flour to stabilize it, it will get wrinkly as it cools, a bit like a soufflé. It’s best to enjoy it while it’s still a little warm 🙂
Can I make cloud bread in advance?
Unfortunately, cloud bread, like clouds, is extremely volatile. You can’t make it ahead of time because the longer it sits, the more wrinkly and shrunken it gets. Cloud bread is best made and eaten fresh from the oven.
Corn Starch Substitutes
If you don’t have cornstarch, also known as cornstarch, you can use regular all-purpose flour. The amount of flour is very small, so it makes no difference.
Sugar works best when making meringue, but you can also use sweetener if you avoid sugar. The meringue does not fluff as much, but is sugar-free. Try things like: stevia, splenda, or Monk Fruit sweetener.
Why does my cloud bread taste like eggs?
Cloud bread has only three ingredients: protein, sugar and cornstarch. It tastes like eggs because eggs are the main ingredient. If you want it to be sweeter, more meringue-like and less eggy, you can make it with more sugar or add some extracts like vanilla or almond. Instead of 2.5 tablespoons of sugar, use 6 tablespoons. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract. The cloud bread will be a bit stiffer and not as fluffy, but it will taste more like meringue!
Cloud Bread Recipe
3 ingredients airy TikTok viral cloud bread
- 3 large proteins about 6 tablespoons
- 2.5 tablespoon sugar ~30g
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch ~10g
- food coloring optional, see note
Cloud Bread Recipe
Amount per serving
Calories from Fat 2
% Daily Value*
Saturated fat 0.01 g0%
Egg white 10.8g22%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.