Peas with cabbage have been served in Poland for almost a thousand years! No wonder we have this particular version of braised sauerkraut, a meat-free Christmas dish.
It is an easy to make, tasty and above all super healthy snack or even a main course, where sour cabbage goes with yellow split peas.
How to make cabbage with peas:
- Place the uncooked yellow peas in a saucepan with 1 1/2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook over medium heat (covered) for 30 minutes. I like mine with a little bit of substance so I don’t cook them until they fall apart.
- Meanwhile, cut the cabbage in half and thinly slice one half using a grater or hand disc.
- Cut into smaller pieces.
- Chop 1 onion and fry with bay leaves, allspice and caraway in butter until golden brown in a medium/large saucepan (the cabbage will be added later).
- When the onions are done, add the cabbage and stock and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes to soften the cabbage.
- Add the peas and mix well to combine.
- In a small saucepan, make a roux of flour and butter, add to the cabbage and stir. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
- Add ground pepper at the end.