Preparation time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 5 minutes Total time: 10 minutes Yield: 4 sandwiches
Tender shredded pork roast in a great tasting sandwich!
How To Make Mayo:
- 1 cup sour orange juice (if you can’t get sour orange juice in your area, use two parts orange, one part lemon and one part lime)
- Puree all ingredients together to form a paste. Place the pasta in a separate bowl. Continue this process until all the garlic is pureed.
- Stir in the sour orange juice. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or more. Use immediately to flavor the sandwich or refrigerate for later use.
How To Make Tender Shredded Pork Roast:
- Mash the garlic, salt and peppercorns together with a mortar and pestle.
- Add dried oregano, onion and the sour orange to make a puree – mix thoroughly.
- Heat the olive oil in a 2 quart pan until hot, but NOT frying hot! We’re looking for something close to 220 degrees F. Remove the pan from the heat source. Carefully add the puree to the hot oil and whisk gently. Let cool.
- Pierce the pork with a sharp knife or fork as often as possible.
- Pour the garlic mixture (reserve a little for roasting) over the pork, cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or preferably overnight.
- To roast in the oven, preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place fresh ham or pork shoulder, fattest side up, in an open roasting pan.
- Place the pan in the oven and reduce the temperature to 225 degrees F. Spoon extra marinade over the roast occasionally as it cooks. Using a meat thermometer, the roast should be removed from the oven when the internal temperature reaches 195 degrees F. – for tender, “pulled pork” quality. (If you want a roast you can slice, remove it when the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees F.)
- Cover immediately with foil and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
This is how you make the sandwich:
- Cut the loaves in half. Butter both sides of each loaf.
- The pork should be warm. Heat some in a frying pan with a dash of oil.
- Chop the pork with a carving knife.
- Place the shredded pork on the bread and top with a single layer of sliced onions. Sprinkle with mojo sauce.
- Cut the sandwich in half diagonally and serve. For a warm crispy sandwich, you can also finish this on a plancha or sandwich press.