Picadillo a la habanera, as the name implies, is a dish born in Havana and is one of the traditional recipes most commonly prepared in Cuba. The ingredients came from all over the world, but the mix of them, to achieve this delicious taste, was born in the capital of Cuba. It gets its name from the fine cut with which the meat (minced meat) is minced and is usually accompanied by black beans and rice.
In the quest for inexpensive culinary elaborations that would make it possible to make the most of the raw materials that could be bought, beef-based dishes arose that were processed to the taste of the capotalinas – and extended to the Cubans of most of the the island.
Below is a delicious recipe for habanero picadillo so that you can enjoy the delicious taste as much as if you were a Cuban or someone with a taste for good food.
How to make Picadillo a la Habanera (ground beef):
- Peel and cut the potato into small squares (so that it does not oxidize, we recommend soaking it in water with a little salt).
- Cut the bell pepper (into medium squares) and the onion, finely chopped. We also chop the garlic finely, or you can crush it with a mortar if you like.
- In a frying pan we put oil (about 5 tablespoons). When warm, we add the potatoes, previously drained and dried.
- When you notice they are golden brown, remove them and add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic to the pan. Let them simmer for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is transparent.
- Then we add the picadillo and let it cook for 5 to 8 minutes. If you find it is half done, add the 60 ml red wine. We increase the heat so that the alcohol evaporates and we add the salt.
- When the steam evaporates the wine, reduce the heat and add 150g tomato paste, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano, 1 bay leaf and a pinch of red paprika.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens. After a while, add the green olives, raisins and the already prepared potato.
- Garnish with a little chopped parsley and voila, you can enjoy this delicious habanera ground beef.