Piernik/Gingerbread is very much associated with the Christmas season in Poland. And so these tasty treats are often baked at home with the whole family to the sound of Christmas carols.
How to make gingerbread:
- Place the honey, marmalade, orange zest and spices in a small saucepan and heat through. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs one at a time, then the honey mixture, when cool, and the milk. Stir well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add the flour to the sugar/butter mixture and stir well.
- Transfer the mixture to the cake tin and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the bread completely before cutting it in half horizontally from end to end.
- Spread marmalade on the bottom and put the top back on. Remark: You can skip this step and spread some marmalade on each slice before serving.
- To make the glaze, heat the cream in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat and add the broken chocolate.
- Mix until melted and smooth.
- Let the glaze cool slightly before pouring it over the gingerbread.