How to make Christmas beetroot stock with mushroom dumplings:
- Wash, peel and cut the beets into thin slices. Place in a clean glass or ceramic pickling container.
- Add sugar, salt, garlic, bread and water.
- Set on the counter for 5 days to sour.
- The night before you’re ready to boil the stock, put the dried mushrooms in a pot and add 2.5 cups of water to soak (make sure it’s big enough for about 8 cups of liquid).
- The next day, add the cleaned and peeled celeriac, carrots, parsnips, celery, onion, peppercorns, allspice and salt and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and return it to the jar. Keep the vegetables.
- Strain the beets that have turned sour, adding 1/2 cup of vinegar to keep them from losing their rich red color.
- Clean and peel the fresh beets, cut them into thin slices and add them to the mushroom/vegetable stock.
- Also add the sour beets. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the beets. Add the sour beetroot water to the mushroom/vegetable stock and heat, but DO NOT BOIL.
- Finally, add the butter, marjoram and crushed garlic.
- Taste. If it is too sour/vinegar, add a little more sugar.
- Add some more salt if necessary.
Remark: Beetroot soup can be tough because it loses color quickly. Vinegar can help prevent this, but sometimes it can brown. If this happens, don’t worry. Any loss of color will not affect the taste.