Rice with fried eggs is a staple food in Cuban homes. so we are going to discover the authentic original recipe for this traditional dish, whose origin is not very clear whether it is spanish or comes from a caribbean country. The truth is that it is very popular in our kitchen and it is very common to find it in bars and restaurants.
How to make Arroz con Huevo Frito (rice and fried egg):
- To make a Cuban rice we are going to start by preparing a tomato sauce with a lot of flavor with four ripe tomatoes, half an onion, two cloves of garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- We are going to crush the tomato, onion and garlic and cook over medium heat for half an hour, until we get a consistent sauce. If the end result is a bit sour, you can correct this by adding sugar.
How to make rice:
- To get a loose rice, we bring water to a boil in a pan with some onion peels and a clove of garlic.
- When it starts to boil, add the rice and stir it constantly with a wooden spoon to keep it from sticking for about 15-16 minutes. When it’s al dente, we strain it and run it through cold water.
- We already have the tomato sauce and the rice ready.
- Now we need to prepare the fried plantain. We use a ripe banana, which we first cut in half and then each part in half lengthwise. We will fry it in abundant oil until golden brown. We remove it on kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
- And, we have the last item on the plate: the fried eggs. We will do it almost grilled, with very little oil. If possible, we can choose a pan with a lid and cook it for a few minutes.
- We already have all the ingredients ready.
- Before serving, we need to warm up the rice a bit, because we ran it through cold water to stop cooking.
- We can use a mold or small bowl to shape the rice, or use it as a cradle to hold the rest of the ingredients.
- We will cover the rice with the homemade tomato sauce that we have prepared and we will accompany it with the egg and the fried banana.