When we need a quick weeknight dinner, the famous Russian Beef Stroganoff is one of our go-tos. It’s so easy and so delicious! Beef stroganoff is a very famous dish outside Russia, which is often served in restaurants with no connection to the homeland. There are now multiple recipes for this sautéed meat dish, although most contain two main ingredients: beef and sour cream.
The recipe can be as simple as sautéing strips of tender beef in butter and adding sour cream later, or more complex by adding onions, mushrooms, and other ingredients to the pan. Make sure to take your time and soak the meat thoroughly with the mixture of juices and spices. Ah, it’s mouth watering to even think about!
- Season the tenderloin strips with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onions in butter until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes or until set.
- Add the reserved beef strips and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the beef stock, dry mustard and tomato paste until well blended and pour into the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer over low heat for no more than 15 minutes (or until meat is desired).
- Temper the sour cream with a few ladles of the hot cooking liquid. If using wine, add it to the sour cream. Return the tempered mixture to the pan and heat until thickened.
- Adjust the seasonings and serve with baked potatoes, sliced pickles, and more sour cream on the side.