If you were to ask me what I could eat over and over, it would have to be chicken thighs. They are so incredibly versatile, full of flavor and absolutely delicious. Give me thighs across the chest every day.
These baked chicken thighs are simple yet deliciously flavored with honey, mustard and garlic – you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry right now. The sweetness of the honey goes perfectly with the mild taste of garlic. I love honey garlic and these mustard with honey garlic thighs are perfection. If you’re looking for something different, there are some other flavor suggestions down the road.
How long to bake chicken thighs?
- Skinless chicken thighs: Bake at 425°F for 18-20 minutes.
- Bone in skin on chicken thighs: Bake at 425°F for 25-30 minutes when properly tempered.
- Bone in skin on chicken thighs: Bake at 425°F for 35-40 minutes if they come straight from the fridge.
You want to bake them until the internal temperature reaches 165°F, or until the juices run clear. Chicken thighs come in all sizes and thicknesses, so it’s best to have a instant read thermometer to make sure they reach 165°F.
How to bake chicken thighs
For the juiciest oven baked chicken thighs, you need bone, skin on the thighs. Baking in a hot oven ensures that the skin becomes crispy and the bone keeps the meat moist and juicy.
- Pat dry. Use a clean tea towel or paper towel to dry your chicken’s skin. You want a dry surface so it can crisp up. Moisture is the enemy of crispiness.
- Season. Put the thighs in a bowl and add the sauce, which contains a little oil. The oil helps conduct heat making the skin crispy and the spices in the sauce add flavor.
- Baking. The best way to bake thighs is with the skin in a roasting pan or baking dish. Bake the thighs at 425°F for about 25-30 minutes, or just until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
The secret to super juicy chicken thighs is tempering
Tempering is simply taking the chicken out of the fridge and leaving it in a cool spot on the counter. It gives you the juiciest, most well-cooked chicken you’ll ever eat. Taking the cold off your chicken equals evenly cooked meat. If you cook chicken straight from the refrigerator when it’s cold, the outside of the chicken will cook faster than the inside, which can cause them to dry out.
It is best to prep your chicken, let it temper/marinate for about 10-15 minutes and then turn on the oven. Your chicken should be tempered by the time your oven is ready.
Bone in the skin on versus boneless without skin
This recipe suggests skin on, bone in chicken thighs because the skin will crisp up nicely and the meat underneath will baste as well. Using bone in meat is always a bonus as meat cooked on the bone is more flavorful and juicier due to the fact that bone in meat cooks more evenly, preventing the meat from drying out. However, boneless chicken thighs are also delicious – I use them in tons of recipes and you can easily use them here too.
Variations on chicken thigh
What can I serve with oven baked chicken thighs?
Crispy oven baked chicken thighs
I like spicy honey-garlic-mustard chicken, but I also like crispy fried chicken. If you’re also a lover of crispy chicken, don’t worry, I’ve got you! Crispy fried chicken thighs are just as easy as regular fried thighs, all you have to do is add an extra crispy panko breadcrumbs. Panko gives you super crispy crispy skin and the honey-garlic-mustard marinade keeps the chicken extra juicy. Seriously good!
How to make CRISPY oven baked chicken thighs
- Season and marinate the thighs according to the recipe.
- Venue 2 cups panko in a large, shallow bowl.
- To take the chicken and dip it in the panko, pressing it down on all sides.
- Venue Place the chicken on a lightly oiled rack in a baking tray and bake according to the recipe, for 25-30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
How can I reheat chicken thighs?
- In the microwave: place on a microwave-safe plate and cover. Heat for 1 minute at a time until hot.
- In the oven: preheat oven to 325°F and place chicken in ovenproof dish and cover with foil. Bake until heated through.
Fried Chicken Thighs
Perfect pantry juicy fried chicken thighs
- 2 lb bone in skin on chicken thighs 6-8 thighs
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil-
Fried Chicken Thighs
Amount per serving
Calories from Fat 139
% Daily Value*
Saturated fat 3.9 g24%
Egg white 21g42%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.