Tortilla de Patatas (also known as Spanish omelette or tortilla de papas) is an easy Spanish recipe made with potatoes, onion, eggs, salt, and oil. Tortilla de patatas is traditionally served with a warm baguette and a green salad. It can be ordered in numerous bars and restaurants in all areas and is one of the most iconic. For some, it’s even their daily breakfast.
How to make tortilla de patatas:
- Add olive oil to a 10- or 12-inch skillet over medium heat. It is best to use a skillet that is at least 1 inch deep.
- Add the sliced potato and onion to the pan; they should usually be covered with olive oil. Add some more oil if necessary.
- Season with 1 ½ teaspoons of sea salt.
- Cook over medium heat, gently simmering, for 8-12 minutes, turning occasionally, until potatoes are just tender. Don’t overcook them!
- Drain the potatoes and save the oil for later use. Taste and season the potatoes with more salt if necessary.
- Let them cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, break the eggs into a bowl and season with about ½ teaspoon of salt. Beat the eggs and pour them over the boiled potatoes and onion and toss them over.
- Add a small amount of oil to the bottom of a 10-inch non-stick skillet over high heat.
- When hot, pour in the potato mixture and cook over high heat for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for about 5 minutes.